$$$USE MY CODE AND SAVE SAVE SAVE$$$

Get 15% off
your first order
use code TDDU9361
Baby ItemsBuy Baby Items at Diapers.comBuy Baby Items at Diapers.com
Not valid for existing Diapers.com or Soap.com customers. Some resctrictions apply.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Should I? Or shouldn't I?

Bradley is 5 months old.

Holy bleepin bleepity bleep.


How the bleep did this happen?


Where the bleep did the time go?


Ok so he is 5 months old and has gone from being my amazing sleeper from 10pm to 6am, to waking up three. bleeping. times. a. night.

This needs to change.

I think we might start him on rice cereal tonight.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Info? Please!

I know I would be starting him a whole month earlier than I had planned, wanted to, and that is recommended. That is the only reason I have such reservation. But all in all, I think he is ready. Actually I think he is so ready that I'm starting to feel bad if I don't give it too him. Nursing is going great and I haven't wanted to add anything to our schedule. Well maybe I just want to keep him an infant forever. But I can't. And he is pretty much shouting from the roof tops that he is ready.

For one, he just cut his first tooth!! I know, I can't believe it either. This morning hubs and I felt and it was totally out through the gums. Oh. My. Gosh.

Second, he has total head control and can sit up (assisted) like a little champ. I know he will be able to hold his head up and straight enough to swallow/eat.

Third, he is TOTALLY interested in what we are eating. He can be in the middle of active play and as soon as I put something in my mouth to stops, still as a statue, and watches me chew. It is hilarious. But also it is making me feel guilty that he's not eating anything yet. I think he totally wants to.


If we do this I am just so afraid and hope his little GI tract is ready for this. I've heard of babies getting horrible tummy pain and constipation. I don't wish that for him. Also, I just can't believe it won't just be him and my boobs anymore. It will be him, my boobs, spoons, cereal, and the bottle of left over breast milk I am going to use to make the cereal with. Whoa. And they said three's a crowd...

Anyone have any pointers on starting cereal? Anyone have any pointers on how to stop your kid from growing up so quickly? Anything will help!

Tiffany

5 comments:

Leslie said...

I am sorry I do not have any pointers yet as we just gave our little guy (who is almost 6 months) oatmeal for the first time last weekend (and have not since due to being sick). I just wanted to add that I have read by adding solids, it will not necessarily help their sleep. I think a change in sleep pattern for a little while is very common around 4-5 months! I think it is due to all the growth they are experiencing. Unfortunately, no advice on how to stop them from growing so fast!! I wish I could slow it down a bit but at the same time it is so cool watching them experience new things! Wishing you the best!

Morgan said...

I have been lurking on your blog since pregnancy and our babies are actually only 5 days apart(I also have pcos). We have not started our little one on solids yet and we are having the same sleep issues. She had been sleeping 12 hours straight since 6 weeks and now she is up 2-3 times a night. The last two nights she was down to only one wake up so I am hoping it was a passing phase. I will be interested to hear how things go if you end up introducing cereal. We are planning on sticking to breast milk only until 6 months, but I have been toying with the idea of cereal as well. Good luck!

Danielle said...

Hello! I am a new follower to your blog and I figured I would give you what we did! My daughter is 4 months old and we started her on solids last week due to medical reasons. But she was exhibiting the same things you are saying. I was very concerned about it but I am so happy that I did! It is great! She was so ready! She took great to the spoon, didn't spit it out, no allergic reactions, she did great! She has been sleeping much better as well and isn't as fussy.(she is a very fussy baby) She has problems with having regular BM so i was sure this was going to mess her up. But to my surprise, it didn't! It actually helped her! and no reactions to any foods yet! I researched and made a personal decision however that cereal/oatmeal wasn't going to be her first solids (plus she already gets that in every bottle) so we started her right out on veggies. She loves it though! I hope this helps!!

Littlest True Blue said...

A few of my friends started solids at 4 or 5 months because like you said their babies looked interested in food and they actually did say that it helped with sleep. The "experts" say it doesn't but from what I've heard..both formula and starting solids helps sleep. Good luck with whatever you decide! Make sure to get some picks of the messy cereal experience! IT will be so fun!

FirstTimeMom said...

I've already tried Alex on solids a few times and he wound up with a tummy ache but he's not 4 months old yet. He's taking almost 35oz a day now and he shows interest in the food I'm eating too. I was going to wait until 6 months due to the tummy issues but I'm re-thinking that. I'm totally skipping cereal though and going straight for veggies and meats. I hope whatever you decide works for y'all and you get your good sleeper back!