$$$USE MY CODE AND SAVE SAVE SAVE$$$

Get 15% off
your first order
use code TDDU9361
Baby ItemsBuy Baby Items at Diapers.comBuy Baby Items at Diapers.com
Not valid for existing Diapers.com or Soap.com customers. Some resctrictions apply.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

FAIL!

I hate to say I knew it....but I knew it. I knew I would fail the one hour glucose test. Still, it hurts and makes me feel bad, and feel scared, and feel like now there's just one more thing to worry about.
.
The threshold to pass the test is 130 or lower. I was at 160.
.
What next? The dreaded 3 hour test. The nurse explaining the test did not do a very good job of not making it sound horrible like I will be stuck in gestational diabetes prison for three hours. She must have told me at least three times to, "Bring a sweat shirt because it's freezing in there, and you can't leave, you have to stay there, you're stuck there for three hours, you'll be freezing, you'll be so hungry so bring something to eat after, you can't leave for 3 hours, you have to stay in the room, remember a sweat shirt, you will freeze." Well, thank you Nurse Bit*h.
.
Protocol for this test is not eat anything after midnight and show up 15 minutes early for a basal blood reading. Then I get to drink the glucose which will now be a 100mg bottle (instead of the 50mg that is used for the one hour.) They draw your blood on the hour for 3 hours. At that point they say they will have to send the results to your doctor but if I can see what my readings are I'll pretty much now if I'm diagnosed with GD (gestational diabetes) or not.
.
I know this is something that I just HAVE, and that I'm just born with. I know it's something I've had for a while because of my failure of this test in college. I know that no matter how much I exercise or eat healthy, this is me and I have PCOS and obviously I have sensitivity to glucose...it still just hurts and makes me feel like I've done something wrong.
.
I don't want to give birth to a 14lb baby, and I don't want a baby who has to be insulin dependant, and I don't want to have to get all paranoid over just having a glass of fruit juice either. It just sucks. My test is on Friday so I'll have more then...
.
On a lighter note today is 24 weeks!! Wow! What a milestone. Technically most Ob's would say that 24 weeks is the first stages of viability. Wow. It is amazing to know that God forbid anything were to happen, and I'd have to have this baby early, there is at least a chance that he could live outside my body from now on. That is pretty incredible.
.
Tiffany

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww Tiff, I am so sad that you are so upset!! I have done the 3 hr Glucose test when they were trying to figure out why I can't get pregnant. It's not bad at all. The liquid is weird though. You will do just great either way. Your doctor will help you if you do have gestational diabetes. I know a couple people who got GD while pregnant and they had 7 lb babies, and I will tell you that they were NOT very proactive about being healthy either. I will be thinking of you!! {{{Hugs}}}

Lmac said...

Oh NO!!! how frustrating for you...keep the faith and keep you and your little on healthy.

Leslie said...

I am sorry that you did not pass the 1 hour test. I did not pass it either (my level was 153) but I passed the 3 hour test! I hope that you will pass the 3 hour test as well. I do recommend bringing a snack for right after -- I was really really hungry (my test actually took 4 hours because the lab was so busy that morning). They did let me drink a little water during the time of the test so you may want to see if they will let you know -- it helped me. Best of luck to you!!!

Lindsay Logic said...

Good luck with the test. My Mom had GD when she was pregnant with me, and didn't realize it at the time. (I was a 9 lb. baby) She had it with two more pregnancies after me and both my sisters were around 7 lbs, because they were able to regulate it. None of us had any negative side effects from it, so I think as long as you stay on top of it, you and your baby will be fine. Good luck with the test! (I can't believe you're already 24 weeks!)

Mrs. S said...

Best of luck with your 3hour test. GD is no fun that is for sure. But, of the couple people I know that had it, the up side is that after the baby comes you've got less baby weight to lose because you've been so healthy during your pregnancy. I know you'll stay on top of things. :)

24 weeks? WOW! That's an excellent milestone!



Oh, and don't forget your sweatshirt. ;)

Unknown said...

Good luck with the 3 hour test! Congrats on making the 24 week mark! That's super exciting!!

Three Cats and a Baby said...

I hope the test isn't so bad and that you get good results in the end.

The good news is that it is completely treatable so no need to worry about baby. Thinking healthy thoughts for you.

By the way, your comment on my blog today was so sweet. Thank you.

Jessica said...

Congrats on the pregnancy!
Hi- I am new to blogging. Just wanted to say hi and that I enjoy learning from you and others about infertility and success, as I am going through the same thing. Please feel free to follow me. -Jess: http://jesstryingtoconceive.blogspot.com/