$$$USE MY CODE AND SAVE SAVE SAVE$$$

Get 15% off
your first order
use code TDDU9361
Baby ItemsBuy Baby Items at Diapers.comBuy Baby Items at Diapers.com
Not valid for existing Diapers.com or Soap.com customers. Some resctrictions apply.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Glucose Test

Happy Tuesday! This might be a two post kinda day for me. We'll see how things go.
.
It's now about 6:45am (eastern standard time, so my newsman is telling me) and I am up and preparing myself for my Glucose Tolerance Test which will be used to detect beginning stages of gestational diabetes.
.
I.AM.SCARED.
.
My Concerns: First off, having PCOS puts me at a higher risk of developing diabetes. There is a huge link between the two and Dr.'s aren't sure if it's PCOS that causes diabetes, or diabetes that causes PCOS, but nonetheless there is a link. Secondly, I have done this one hour test before (which is the test I'm doing today) and failed. I was an exercises physiology major in college. In one of my ex phys labs, or human phys labs, or biology lab, or....well in one of my classes, we performed this test on ourselves. Obviously back in the day I was in the prime shape of my life. I would have never thought I would have failed a simple one hour glucose test. But sure enough at the end of the class when we were all testing our glucose levels in our blood, mine was still too high. That meant my pancreas was slow acting to release insulin to get my glucose levels back down to normal. That also meant that I had to stay after class for an hour or so until my prof felt comfortable letting me go home which is a whole other annoying story in itself. Anyway, little did I know that that test right there was probably a HUGE foreshadowing event into my future of having PCOS. But I was on the pill then and never would have known.
.
So anyway my test is today. We will see. The format goes: Drink the orange glucose drink 30 minutes before my scheduled appointment. Tell the nurse right when I get there exactly what time I finished the drink. Then they will take my blood exactly an hour past the time I finished the drink.
.
If my number is higher than normal I will then have to go forward with the 3 hour glucose test, which is long, annoying, and just plain sucks.
.
My biggest fear is that I will develop gestational diabetes. I've been researching it and there just seems like so many unpleasant things that go along with it. I'm not even talking about unpleasant for me...I could care less...but for the baby. Some side effects are extra large babies (because they are receiving higher than normal amounts of sugar in the blood.) Babies that go into shock directly after being born because they have been use to living in a high glucose environment and as soon as they get detached from the mother their body goes into like a glucose shock. Worse yet, giving birth to an insulin dependant baby.
.
Uhg, hopefully these are all fears unnecessary to have. Wish me luck.
.
Tiffany

No comments: